Student Life . Student Services . Academic Services . Independent Study
Any sophomore, junior, or senior may propose a semester-long independent study course, equivalent to three credits of liberal arts or studio elective. In general, the purpose of independent study is to pursue a topic of interest not available in the curriculum.
Guidelines for Independent Study at CIA
- Students are limited to one independent study per semester and to a total of six credits (equivalent of two courses) of liberal arts or studio independent study.
- Proposals for independent study must be submitted to the Office of Academic Services with approval from a faculty sponsor, your department head, and Academic Advisor Jeff Romanoski. Contact Jeff Romanoski for proposal details and format.
- Approved proposals must be submitted to Registrar's Office for proper credit.
- Independent study is graded and cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis.
- The faculty sponsor of an independent study course will mentor and evaluate your work. The faculty member must be approved by the Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs to teach the subject proposed.
- The minimum GPA to participate in an independent study is 3.0.
Questions or Concerns?
Please contact Jeff Romanoski, Academic Advisor, by phone at 216.421.7468, by email at email@example.com, or in person at the Office of Academic Services.
For more information:
216.421.7468 | Contact
- OR -
216.421.7462 | Contact
- OR -
Director of Academic Services
216.421.7463 | Contact
- OR -
Disability Support & Academic Advisor
216.421.7428 | Contact
Office of Academic Services
11610 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106
July 06, 2022
Weaver named director of Jane B. Nord Center for Teaching + Learning