share this

COVID-19 Policies
Stay up to date on our plans.
Share This Search
Student Life

Student Life . Career Center . For Current Students . Credit-bearing Internships 

Credit-bearing Internships

Before You Begin an Internship

Most CIA students can get credit for an internship. However, there are exceptions within certain majors, so it is important to check with your department head, the Career Center or Academic Services prior to the experience. 

Credit-bearing internships, normally recommended for students after their sophomore year and for juniors and seniors, are part of your academic program, and must offer a learning component that advances your skills in your field. They are formal collaborations among you, your employer, CIA faculty, and the Experiential Learning Specialist.

For more information on receiving credit for your internship, download CIA's Credit-bearing Internship Policy.

Setting Up Your Internship for Credit 

  • Log in to your College Central Account:
  • On the home page, in the Experiential Learning box, click on "submit a new internship agreement"
  • Complete  the agreement including the learning objectives
  • The agreement will be automatically routed to all parties that need to approve it
  • You will be notified by email when the agreement is finalized

Additional Information

  • Internship credit will not be given retroactively. No exceptions!
  • Deadline to submit an application for the summer is June, 20. A fee of $100 per credit hour is required for summer internships and is due prior to the start of the internship.
  •  Whether or not an internship is paid does not affect your ability to earn credit for the experience.

Evaluating Your Internship

You will work closely with your faculty sponsor and the Experiential Learning Specialist to make sure that your internship provides a positive learning experience and that you are meeting your employer’s expectations and your department’s program requirements. At the end of the internship, the employer will complete an evaluation form and you will write a 750–800 word reflection paper. (Credit will not be awarded until the employer evaluation and the reflection paper are turned in.) A copy of the evaluation and the reflection paper will be sent to your faculty sponsor, who will assign a pass/fail grade.

For more information:

Career Center
216.421.8073 | Contact

Location + Hours 

Located within Student Services, Room 120
Cleveland, OH 44106  


Drop-ins welcomed, appointments preferred