Library . Institute Archives
The Institute opened its doors in 1882 as the Western Reserve School of Design for Women; since then, the Institute has grown into an internationally recognized professional college of art and design, offering majors in 15 areas of fine art, design, craft, and digital arts.
The collection includes the following:
In addition, the following lists are compiled and maintained by the library staff:
CIA’s Library Archives serve as the historical record of the college from 1882 to the present, and its focus is the Institute's print publications, photographs, and a clipping file. The archives do not include the records of the Registrar; minutes and deliberations of the faculty, administration, or the governing boards; CIA business records, records of the auxiliary and international programs; or the Cleveland Art Association. With regard to unsolicited gifts, we add only those materials that enrich understanding of the CIA's institutional history.
A sampling of the celebrated artists and designers associated with CIA includes painter Charles Burchfield, industrial designer Viktor Schreckengost, Op art painters Julian Stanczak, Richard Anuszkiewicz and Ed Mieczkowski; conceptual artist and writer Joseph Kosuth; minimalist painter Robert Mangold; automotive designer Gerald Hirschberg; ceramicist Toshiko Takaezu; and Arthur creator Marc Brown.
The Artists Archives of the Western Reserve preserves and stores art created by its members, many of whom are associated with the Institute.
The Cleveland Artists Foundation is dedicated to preserving, collecting, exhibiting, and promoting Northeast Ohio’s visual art history.
The Ohio Memory Project celebrating Ohio’s Bicentennial, contains Institute images and catalogs from the early years.
Archives of American Art has microfilm copies of CIA Scrapbooks Volumes 1-36 (1882-1981) but not the index. These microfilm copies may be requested for use in your local library.