Continuing Education . Pre-College . Application Checklist
Students interested in attending Pre-College should submit the completed online application form by the deadline of May 1, 2018. Required materials include:
- Online application
- Portfolio (8-10 pieces), submitted through online application
- Nonrefundable $35 application fee (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover)
- Unofficial High School Transcript or a letter of recommendation from an art teacher or counselor
In the application, students will select their first, second and third class choices for each session they plan to attend. Complete applications will be reviewed, and accepted students will be placed into a course based on the strength of their portfolio and previous studio experience, with consideration from their personal statements and letters of recommendation. In some cases, a student may also be placed into the 2D Foundation in Drawing or Design courses, if their portfolio suggests more focus is needed in a traditional studio environment.
If applying for scholarships, students should also plan to submit:
- A copy of the 2017 tax return for the parent or guardian claiming the student as a dependent
- A statement of intent for applying to CIA’s Pre-College program (500 words max)
Once we receive your online application form, paperwork will be sent to help you complete the following required materials for international students only:
- I-20 Visa Application
- Certification of Finances
- Medical Authorization Form
Portfolio Submission Guidelines
Please submit your portfolio through the online application form. When submitting a portfolio, please remember the following:
- Include 8-10 of your best pieces, as JPEG files or a pdf(s).
- Portfolios do not need to be based solely on the class you are applying for; they can show a range of materials, mediums, and processes.
- Be sure to include some observational drawing, whether a still life, portrait, or figure drawing.
Note: Application items will not be returned.
For more information:
216.421.7460 | Contact
Explore and Build Your Portfolio
Between each summer Pre-College Program is a full year of continuing education courses that can help you build your portfolio or experiment with new media. Take a look at our Adult + Young Artists catalog.