share this

Share This Search

Admissions . Financing Your Education . Work-Study 


Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program allows students to earn funds for educational expenses by working a part-time job on campus or at approved off-campus sites. This program is designed to provide students with an opportunity for employment arranged around class schedules.

Money earned from Federal Work Study may be used for tuition, fees, room and board, books, and any other expenses related to your education. Work-study monies are not credited toward payment of tuition and fees, on-campus housing, or other expenses that are directly billed by CIA. Work-study funds are direct deposited into the bank account of your choice.

Frequently asked questions

How do I become eligible?

Eligibility for Federal Work-Study (FWS) is determined based upon the submission of your annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The financial aid results of the FAFSA are available to you within your NetPartner account. If you are eligible for FWS, the FWS allotment will be listed under the “Accept or Decline Aid” tab within NetPartner.

How do I apply for work-study?

The following documents must be completed and submitted to CIA's Payroll Department:

  • Form W-4: Federal IRS Employee Tax Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • Form IT 4: State of Ohio Employee Tax Withholding Exemption Certificate
  • Form I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification (identification must be presented; for acceptable documents, click here)
  • Direct Deposit Authorization Form

Federal Work Study (FWS) Agreement: If you are hired, the supervisor will initiate the FWS verification process (which confirms that you qualify for and have available FWS funds) via an online "Intent to Hire" form.

Afterwards, employment will be verified by the offices of Financial Aid, Career Center and Payroll before you can begin working. 

A new FWS Agreement must be submitted each academic year that you work, including if it's the same job. 

Under no circumstances are you to begin working before the FWS Agreement is completed and verified. Payment for hours worked will be delayed and you will not be allowed to continue working using FWS funds.

How do I find a work-study job?

All work-study jobs are posted on College Central, a comprehensive job board which also lists internships, freelance, and permanent employment opportunities. The Career Center will help you obtain a user name and login.

When you find a position you're interested in, contact the supervisor listed in the position listing to arrange for an interview. If the supervisor intends to hire you, they will initiate the FWS verification process (confirming you are eligible to work in the work-study program that year) via an "Intent to Hire" form. You will be notified via email of each step completed during the verification process. 

Each academic year, a new FWS agreement must be completed and on file for each work-study job that you hold.

I had a federal work-study award last year. Do I have it again this year?

Not automatically. To be considered for work-study, you must complete the FAFSA each year, and CIA's Office of Financial Aid will review your eligibility each year. 

Can I continue to work in the summer using my federal work-study funds?

The financial aid award year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of each year. If you have not earned your entire FWS award during the school year, you may continue to work at your job, or obtain a summer position, until either your FWS award is exhausted or until June 30 of that academic year (whichever comes first). 

Beginning July 1, you may continue to work through the summer provided that you have completed the FAFSA for the new school year, received a FWS award for the new school year, have submitted all required financial aid documentation, and accepted the award within your NetPartner account. Additionally, you'll have to complete a new FWS agreement, even if it is for a position you previously held.

Are Federal Work-Study employees eligible for food assistance?

Students who work at least 20 hours per week in paid employment may be eligible for food assistance through the Supplementat Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). To apply for SNAP, visit the Ohio Department of Health website.



For more information:

Caprice Odom
Financial Aid Counselor
216.421.8024 | Contact

Schedule a virtual appointment

Caprice Odom