In response to ongoing concern about coronavirus, the Cleveland Institute of Art administration and faculty are working together to continue the educational process while minimizing risk during the COVID-19 public health emergency. Our first priority will be to help preserve the health and wellbeing of our entire community.
Please see a list of updated information, as well as a regularly updated list of Frequently Asked Questions, farther down on this page.
It is important to note that no cases of the virus have been identified at CIA, but the health and safety of our community is of utmost importance.
Federal CARES Act Grants
The Coronavirus Assistance, Relief and Economic Securities (CARES) Act was approved by Congress and includes support for higher education including emergency grants for students facing expenses due to COVID-19. Read more about this program as it was implemented at CIA.
As the situation progresses, we will update these questions and communicate by email with students, faculty, staff and external supporters and patrons.
Notice of FAQ Updates
Posted when new information is avaialable, usually by 2pm
June 3, 2020
April 27, 2020
- Email to students clarifying timing for academic building move-out plan
April 24, 2020
- Email to students regarding removing personal items from and returning materials to the academic building
April 22, 2020
- Email to seniors with updates about commencement, from Grafton Nunes
April 16, 2020
- Email to students with update regarding refunds, from Grafton Nunes
April 6, 2020
- Email to seniors with update on commencement from Grafton Nunes
March 31, 2020
- Email to CIA community regarding changes to grading policy for Spring 2020 semester and fall registration from Kathryn Heidemann
- FAQ regarding Presidents' Traveling Scholarship deadline extension, posted to FAQs for graduating seniors
March 27, 2020
- FAQ regarding Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) posted to Employee FAQ
March 25, 2020
March 23, 2020
March 20, 2020
- Email to students regarding refunds, from Grafton Nunes
- FAQ regarding why some students are remaining on campus posted to Living on Campus
- FAQ regarding returning equipment posted to Living on Campus
- FAQ regarding employee personal travel posted to Employee FAQ page
- FAQ regarding employees returning to campus posted to Employee FAQ page
- Email to Alumni + Friends discussing CIA's response to COVID-19
- Email to CIA alumni, announcing intent to continue with 2020 Alumni Exhibition
- Email to CIA community extending online instruction for remainder of semester, and canceling on-campus programs, including Spring Show, BFAs, and Commencement
- A list of software available to students available through myCIA
March 19, 2020:
Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
- March 18 email sent to CIA community with video from Grafton Nunes, Kathryn Heidemann, and Matt Smith discussing first week of COVID-19 preparations
- March 18 email sent to CIA employees, referencing Employee FAQ page on this page
- FAQs for employees have been added to this page. See below.
As part of CIA’s ongoing effort to support the health and safety of all students and employees, the College is in regular contact with health experts in Northeast Ohio to monitor the international outbreak of the novel coronavirus. Information has been provided to us by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the State of Ohio, and the City of Cleveland Department of Public Health.
Visit this page for up-to-date information.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
People who have been diagnosed with novel coronavirus have reported symptoms that may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure to the virus:
- difficulty breathing
Students with symptoms should call 216.368.2450 before visiting CWRU Health Services. A nurse will speak with you and arrange for you to see a medical provider to determine the nature of your illness. A nurse is also available on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 216.368.2450 for advice.
Need medical attention?
Need medical attention?
Students who have questions about their symptoms or are not feeling well should call CWRU University Health Services at 216.368.2450 and speak to the nurse on call. The line is open 24/7. Do not go to University Health Services’ office without calling first.
Faculty and staff should consult with their personal health care providers.
For more information:
Matthew Smith, PhD
Director of Student Life + Housing
216.421.7495 | Contact
Coronavirus communication archive
April 27, 2020: Email to students clarifying timing for academic building move-out plan
April 24, 2020: Email to students regarding removing personal items from and returning materials to academic building
April 22, 2020: Email to seniors with updates regarding commencement, from Grafton Nunes
April 15, 2020: Email to seniors with updates regarding BFA process
April 13, 2020: Email to students with update on refunds, from Grafton Nunes
April 6, 2020: Email to seniors with update on commencement, from Grafton Nunes
March 31, 2020: Email to community regarding changes to grading policy for Spring 2020 and fall registration schedule, from Kathryn Heidemann
March 20, 2020: Email to students regarding refunds, from President Nunes
March 20, 2020: Email to on-campus students regarding move-out, from Matt Smith, Director, Student Life + Housing
March 20, 2020: Email to community regarding operations for the remainder of the semester
March 18, 2020: Email to community with video update
March 18, 2020: Email to employees regarding Employee FAQ page
March 16, 2020: Memo to faculty/staff from President Nunes
March 16, 2020: Email to students from President Nunes
March 12, 2020: Memo regarding building access
March 12: 2020: Memo from CECO canceling young artist classes
March 12, 2020: Memo from CECO canceling adult classes
March 11: 2020: Email to first-year students regarding Major Application
March 11, 2020: Memo from Dean of Student Affairs Nancy Neville to students
March 10, 2020: On-campus classes and public programs suspended
March 9, 2020: Non-discrimination memo
March 6, 2020: Managing anxieties
March 5, 2020 Memo from President Nunes
January 28, 2020 Memo from President Nunes
January 24, 2020 Memo from President Nunes