News . Press Releases
March 17, 2017
Cleveland Institute of Art to add additional housing
Plan coincides with completion of capital campaign for unified campus
For Immediate Release
Contact: Karen Sandstrom
CLEVELAND – A new 203-bed residential housing project adjacent to the Cleveland Institute of Art will open in August 2018, which will provide housing for a significant number of its second year students.
The plan was announced after CIA signed an agreement with developer NewBrook Partners of Cleveland. They will develop the project on land at E. 117th St. and Euclid Avenue, the former site of the Cleveland Food Co-Op. NewBrook is ground leasing the land from University Circle Inc. The new building will expand CIA’s available housing for the first half of the college’s four-year program. Currently, most students need to find their own housing after their first year.
The plan builds upon improvements to campus living options that began with the 2014 opening of the Uptown Residence Hall on the north side of Euclid Avenue. About 130 first-year students live there in suites featuring balcony access, free washing machines, and workout spaces with exercise equipment.
Like Uptown, the new four-story building is mere steps away from the classrooms and studios at CIA’s George Gund Building. Modern amenities will include wi-fi and cable access, meeting rooms, a fitness center, laundry room and social lounges.
“Our academic programs are on par with those of any of our competitors,” said CIA President + CEO Grafton J. Nunes. “This additional housing, along with the development of the Uptown neighborhood, amplifies our appeal as a destination college of art and design. We strive to make CIA a welcome environment for all students, whether they travel here from Shaker Heights, Chicago or Beijing.”
Construction is expected to begin in June of this year and be completed in time for students to move in before the academic year starts in August 2018.
The plan comes as CIA completes its capital campaign to raise $75 million to pay for renovating and expanding its building at 11610 Euclid Ave. From 1976 to 2015, college operations were split between the Euclid Avenue site (a former Ford factory) and a 1956-era building on East Boulevard in University Circle. The new George Gund Building opened in Fall 2015.
Founded in 1882, the Cleveland Institute of Art is an accredited, independent college of art and design committed to nurturing the intellectual, artistic and professional development of students and community members through rigorous visual arts and design education. The Institute offers 15 undergraduate majors, from the visual arts and craft to design and digital arts. It extends its programs to the public through gallery exhibitions, lectures, a continuing education program, and the Cleveland Institute of Art Cinematheque, a nationally acclaimed art and independent film program.
For more information about this or other CIA news, contact us here.