Early action application deadline: December 1
Get started here.

Blog . Tips for Realistic Renderings of Drawings

Tips for Realistic Renderings of Drawings

02/21/17  |  Posted by LeAnn Troutner  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

This week I have three different projects due to render for interior architecture. Lots of time spent with my laptop and Photoshop. Each project is different, but I want to give you some tips I got from my instructor Pete Maric. These tips have made it easier and quicker to work through the illustration. Always begin with a good line drawing even if you have to edit it once in Photoshop. I started on tracing paper with pen, then scanned and edited the pieces I had to get the image I wanted.

Once I was happy, I added base colors and tones on individual layers for individual pieces. Pete told me to hold down option and fill the foreground and background with the base color, then make one slightly lighter and the other slightly darker than the original. I used a large soft brush and locked the transparent squares to touch up the base color as desired with the light source. I chose darker bottoms and lighter tops with a main light source coming from one area.

When doing trees and clouds, I used brushes that my instructors had given to me. After getting their shape, I was told to add a slight stroke to the base shape to look like I had drawn the details more. Add values to the clouds by starting with an off-white color. Duplicate and slightly enlarge the image. Here, add a slightly blue tint to the bottom and a slightly orange tint to the top. Locking the transparency makes this easier and more accurate. For the trees, lowering the opacity makes the leaves look more realistic in their effect on the building or subject.

To add an image from the internet that is supposed to look like an art piece, find the image with a white background. Separate the item from the background and add a "paint daub" filter over the item. Bear in mind the appropriate place and size of the item when adding to the illustration. When pulling a texture into the image, "skew" the image into perspective and add value with dodge and burn tools. Multiply the layer for transparency to see the lines drawn, or lower the opacity. Find what you think looks best.

0