Early action application deadline: December 1
Get started here.

Blog . How to Create Textures and Patterns in Adobe Illustrator

How to Create Textures and Patterns in Adobe Illustrator

02/14/17  |  Posted by LeAnn Troutner  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

I am connected to Adobe Illustrator’s Facebook page. Here they post tutorials and all sorts of wonderful things for teaching digital art. Here is the link for those of you who would like to see what they have. On their page they have a guy named Paul Trani who does live tutorials with people around the world. I like this guy’s lessons and I find it very easy to follow along with his teaching. Now he has shown how to make textures and patterns in Illustrator. I am going to try this and give you the lesson so you don’t have to watch the video, they tend to be on the long side. Here is the link to his video.

To begin, either create or find a vector work. If taking it from offline, make sure that it is labeled for reuse so you don’t get into legal trouble. I just got these leaves from Pixabay. Adding texture is simple. Select the piece you want to texturize then go to "Effect" on the top panel and slide down to "Effect Gallery." Here is where you find all the same effects as Photoshop, and they effect the selected item in the same way as Photoshop. Move the sliders and create the effect you want to the selected piece. I am changing the background I added to the image. I used "Sponge" and intensified the texture so I could see the effect better. This is how I added texture to my background layer.

To make a pattern from an image, you can choose whatever image you want and even multiple images. Start off by arranging everything the way you want, then shrink everything together down to a small size. Select everything, go to "Object" at the top, hit "Pattern," then "Make."

I am happy with the pattern I made and I think I will use it to make a Valentine’s Card for my mother. If you want to make changes, make sure you never let go of the original selection. If the selection is still there, you can transform the entire image or pieces and the transformation will happen to the others in the pattern. Also, you can move individual pieces like the leaves and petals, so that the pattern breaks the barrier given when editing. If you do this, the pattern is automatically fixed on the opposite side to make a coherent pattern.

0