Application Regular Decision Deadline: March 1
Get started here.

Blog . Goodbye NYC, Hello CIA

Goodbye NYC, Hello CIA

09/01/15  |  Posted by Anamaria Hall  |  Posted in Student Blogger

The past few months of my academic career have been the most rewarding.

When I first started looking for internships, I wanted to learn more about the jewelry design industry, and I ended up learning so much more than I thought I would. Through the design team at Showroom 35, I learned how to design a line of jewelry from start to finish. I learned the ins and outs of Illustrator, how to spec designs, what needs to be looked at while reviewing samples, and how the final product should look. Not only that, but I learned a lot about what limitations we have as designers due to what our factories can and cannot do. Obviously in costume jewelry we cannot do everything that fine jewelers can do, but we can work to our best abilities in order to imitate that fine look.

I took a lot from the opportunity I was given and tried to learn everything I could from the people around me. I took my knowledge as a maker, which I gained in school and applied it to being a designer in the industry. It was an incredible experience that I highly recommend to anyone who wants to be a designer in the fashion industry. Hard work really paid off, and hopefully in the future I will be able to work with the people I worked with this summer. They all taught me a lot, and being part of the CIA community helped so much.

0