Apply Now
Get started here.

Blog . FREE Digital Media Tutorials

FREE Digital Media Tutorials

09/17/14  |  Posted by Zachary James  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Are you new to Animation, Illustration, or Video? Want to learn some new tricks or refine old skills? A great way to accomplish such goals is to use the Internet! During my searches for help I’ve found some great artists that post free tutorials on how to make sweet stuff. Did I mention the tutorials are FREE!?

Cy Porter and “Happy Harry” are two artists that I have found to be very inspirational and have taught me quite a bit.

Cy Porter

First, I want to introduce Cy Porter. Cy Porter is an Independent Animation Professional from the Greater Seattle Area. He has a whole series of free tutorials on YouTube with tips and tricks on Film and Animation, Storyboarding, Drawing from Memory and Imagination, and also Creative Fiction Writing. This summer I was in a production of The Wizard of Oz, and I also had the opportunity to make some art for the show. His video Make a Looped Moving Background for Car Ride Scene assisted with my recreation of the Tornado that was projected during the show, and taught me some new tricks in After Effects.

Happy Harry

Next, there is Happy Harry (aka Harry Partridge). Harry is an animator and has many cartoons and videos on YouTube. Along with his main channel, Harry also has another page on YouTube dubbed HuHa 2!. Oh this channel, Harry has a series of great animation tutorials (Happy Harry’s HuHa 2 How-Tos!) that go from the basics, to character design, all the way to telling the story of your animation through characters and scenes.

There are plenty of other artists who have free tutorials, websites, and many other resources that are valuable resources. If you encounter a problem, or hit a roadblock, a simple Google search is all it takes to help bring you one step closer to figuring out how to get the job done.

0