View full story nicolemehle.jpg

Story: Oct 21, 2014

Senior curates exhibition of current students, recent grads ...

View details Adam Markanovic: No Body to Love

CIA Exhibition: Oct 17, 2014

Adam Markanovic: No Body to Love

View full story casey.jpg

Story: Oct 20, 2014

CIA grad transforms Corvette into canvas on wheels

View details Lunch On Fridays: Word!

Events: Oct 31, 2014

Lunch On Fridays: Word!

View Link

Social: about 22 hours ago via Facebook

Cleveland Institute of Artís Career Center helps students prepare for careers, especially by helping them secure challenging and fulfilling internships. For thi...

View full story croppedrusso.jpg

Story: Sep 22, 2014

Television and film writer teaching narrative writing at CIA

View details Unruly Engagements Conference

Events: Nov 06, 2014 @ Cleveland Institute of Art in Cleveland, OH

Unruly Engagements Conference

View full story dormdeckyoga.jpg

Story: Aug 27, 2014

New residence hall welcomes first-year students in comfort, ...

View details Opening Reception Community Works: Artist as Social Agent

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Opening Reception Community Works: Artist as Social Agent

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

04/09/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Recently I have been trying to figure out how to create my own video effects with out relying on video editing software. That’s because I not only wanted to save myself some time when rendering, but I also wanted to make something unique for my videos.

What I Used

The presets for blur weren’t quite what I was looking for and when I tried to render the video it was going to take a along time, because of the numbers of files I had with the blur effect on them. To get around having to wait for the video to take hours to render, I decided to try to blur the video while I was taking it. I used clear frosted plastic bags I tied over the lens to create a blur effect, along with holding my glasses up to the lens. The bag blurs the video to a point of being only basic shapes and colors. If you defocus the camera it adds to the softness of the blur. I got a less intense blur by holding my glasses up to the lens.

Why I Use This For My Art

I wanted a blurred effect because I am making a personal piece with a goal to make me feel grounded when I am feeling extremely low or high with my emotions. I have been taking film of people, places, and things that make me feel at peace and calm. It doesn’t matter to me if the video is crystal clear or not. For me, the video being blurred along with having everything be soft shapes and colors is aesthetically pleasing, it also helps me to feel calm. It's not so much the importance of being able to see the people, places, and things in my video but knowing they are there. A different piece I am making is going to be twenty-two 1 minute long videos that I take and distort in camera. Then I am going to make it an interactive video installation by having all the videos copied on to multiple devices and then project them into the same corner, overlapping the video. People can then choose what videos they want to overlap, changing the end result of what they are watching. In addition, I will be making no more than twenty-two and no less than 10 sculptures that people also have the option of putting over the projector to distort the video even more.

What I have discovered So Far

At this moment I have used cheap, clear plastic, iridescent wrapping paper, broken CD shards, broken headlights/taillights, and a cut gemstone to get different distortions on my videos. The cheap plastic is a little box I got when I was a child that held my Pokémon cards and when it’s held over the camera lens, it looks similar to the dust and scratch preset. When I used the iridescent wrapping paper to distort the video, my wrapping paper's base color was pink, it tinted the video pink while giving it an ethereal distorted effect. The broken CD shard gives the video a look similar to being underwater, while also having multiplied lines of the color spectrum moving around while taking the video. The broken headlight/taillight are similar in the aspect that they distort the video into what looks like a honey comb shape and also by making the edges of the video rounded and stretched depending on the piece and what part you have over the lens. The only main difference is that one turns the video red, while the other turns it orange. Using the cut gemstone creates a more controlled version of the kaleidoscope effect, it takes what you are filming and makes a bunch of small videos in different shapes that you can still tell what it is being filmed. My gem is iridescent and tints the video pastel, emphasizing the darks and lights in what I am filming.

0