Search
View full story brittanylockwood1.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

2014 grad to design whimsical playgrounds for Colorado compa...

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

CIA Exhibition: Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

View full story liberal-artscma.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View Link

Social: 43 minutes ago via Facebook

Enjoy a free summer concert series, The Beat Uptown, happening tonight from 6-9pm at the corner of Mayfield Road and Euclid Avenue. Stop by and sample all tha...

View full story emilyhromi-stillforscreen.jpg

Story: Aug 13, 2014

Biomedical grad wins award for animation on stuttering

View details Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

Events: Sep 27, 2014

Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

View full story cnswithlabelsfullscreen.jpg

Story: Aug 11, 2014

Student-designed app teaches embryology, improves scores

View details Fall 2014 Open House

Events: Nov 15, 2014

Fall 2014 Open House

View details picresized1406427570dormantbeauty2.jpg

Blog: Aug 19, 2014

8/21-24: Harold Lloyd in The Freshman, Filth, Dormant Beauty & more!

Blog . The Making of Inhale

The Making of Inhale

03/20/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Video and Sculpture

The piece I made is a video installation where I project my video through a sculpture made out of a melted shower curtain. There is a pedestal that the Sculpture TA, Erin Duhigg, helped me make. It hides a projector, laptop and speakers, so that all the cords and equipment are hidden. The projector is facing up so that when my piece sits on top of the projector pedestal, the video fills the sculpture as well as shining on the walls and ceiling around it.

The Footage and Editing

For the video I decided to break up non-functional CDs I received for free from a library in my hometown. I liked how they were grey and colorful at the same time. I laid them all out on a desk. I put all the brighter CDs on one end of the desk, and the muted ones on the other side. I took video of each pile that I imported in Premier. I overlaid the muted CD video in the “Color” blending mode over the brighter CD video. This was because it added depth to the video along with a little more pastel color to it. I also slowed down the video by right clicking the clip in the Timeline and selecting “Speed/Duration,” and then manually typing the number. Once my video editing was done, I opened up Garage Band and used the synthesizer effect by pressing keys on the computers keyboard. After I was satisfied with the sound, I saved and exported to iTunes. I imported it into Premier and dragged it over to the Timeline. I slowed down the audio, but you could still hear the notes. Then I watched it again, made a few cuts and rendered it out with these settings: “Format”- QuickTime, “Preset”- HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48 kHz, “Video Codec”- Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I also selected “Use Maximum Render Quality” and “Use Frame Blending,” which are at the very bottom of the window. Then I selected “Export” and waited for it to finish.

Inhale

The piece is titled “Inhale” because it is a manifestation on my opinion of vulnerability, and how even though it is viewed as bad, it is actually good. I am reading a book called Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and she explains how vulnerability is good and can change your life in a positive way. When people don’t want to be vulnerable they start to numb their emotions. After awhile, they end up being completely numb. If you open yourself up to vulnerability and accept that it can be good, your outlook on life will change. I have been trying this myself and it has been working very well. This is about breathing in toward trying to become happier.

0