View full story nicolemehle.jpg

Story: Oct 21, 2014

Senior curates exhibition of current students, recent grads ...

View details Adam Markanovic: No Body to Love

CIA Exhibition: Oct 17, 2014

Adam Markanovic: No Body to Love

View full story casey.jpg

Story: Oct 20, 2014

CIA grad transforms Corvette into canvas on wheels

View details Lunch On Fridays: Word!

Events: Oct 31, 2014

Lunch On Fridays: Word!

View Link

Social: about an hour ago via Facebook

The Cleveland Institute of Art wishes you a safe and happy Halloween! {Artwork by CIA Graphic Designer Nicole Fansler}

View full story croppedrusso.jpg

Story: Sep 22, 2014

Television and film writer teaching narrative writing at CIA

View details Unruly Engagements Conference

Events: Nov 06, 2014 @ Cleveland Institute of Art in Cleveland, OH

Unruly Engagements Conference

View full story dormdeckyoga.jpg

Story: Aug 27, 2014

New residence hall welcomes first-year students in comfort, ...

View details Opening Reception Community Works: Artist as Social Agent

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Opening Reception Community Works: Artist as Social Agent

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Painting Over Video

Painting Over Video

03/20/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

This is something I taught myself last year, and I wanted to refresh my memory and introduce it to other people who have always wanted to try this out!

Getting Started

I am using a video I took from inside a car. I imported my video clip into Adobe Premier. I right clicked on the file and selected “ New Comp from Selection.” Doing this means that when you create a new Composition, the video will be the same size as the video box, instead of it being the wrong size. I used the razor tool to remove the first few seconds of my video where my glove is in the shot. I slowed done the video by right clicking on the file in the timeline, selecting Speed/Duration, and setting it to about 75%. I did this so that the video would be around 15 seconds long. I right clicked on the video again and selected “Unlink” and unlinked the audio from the video. After deleting only the audio, I exported my video with these settings: “Format”- QuickTime, “Preset”- HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48 kHz, “Video Codec”- Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I also selected “Use Maximum Render Quality” and “Use Frame Blending,” which are at the very bottom of the window. Then I selected “Export” and waited about 4 minutes to finish.

Switching Over

Now that my video has been rendered I opened Adobe After Effects. I once again import the video file right clicked to make “New Comp from Selection.” I selected the paintbrush tool from the toolbar at the top of the screen. In order to actually start painting/drawing on your video you need to double click on the video in the composition window. A new window with the same video preview will pop up called “Layer 1”.

Doing the Do

You will be treating this almost like it is a stop motion. Every time you draw something you will need to play the video until you want to draw again. Or else you will only have your painting/drawing on there for a few seconds instead of the whole thing. On the right hand side are multiple options for the brush tool. You can change the color of the paint, the brush size and type, its opacity/flow, and lots of other things! Also, you can change the duration of the painting/drawing you do. There are 4 options total, the last one being “Customize”. The “Constant” option does exactly what the name says, whatever you paint will be there the whole time. “Write On” will look like someone is drawing on the video. “Single Frame” is what I will be using and is how to treat this like a stop motion. Whatever you draw will only be on the video for one frame, not the whole length of the video after you draw/paint it. I started off by setting my paint brush options to these: Diameter 41 px, Angle 0, Roundness 100%, Hardness 0, Spacing 25%, Opacity 50%, Flow 100%, Mode “Normal”, Channels “RGBA”, Duration “Single Frame.” I am not the best at drawing and tried my best to draw a cat with wings flying by the window. I wanted it to seem like a daydream so I made it purple and transparent. In the end I made the video about a second long in After Effects because of the render time, then took it into Premier and slowed it down again with the Speed/Duration option. I used the same settings as listed above!

0