View full story holidaycardrawley.jpg

Story: Dec 17, 2014

Students animate, illustrate holiday greetings on behalf of ...

View details Fall 2014 Exhibitions

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Fall 2014 Exhibitions

View full story madesurrealvictoriabest4041.jpg

Story: Nov 15, 2014

Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View Link

Social: about 5 hours ago via Facebook

Cleveland Institute of Art has again received a significant funding commitment from Cuyahoga Arts & Culture to support access to the arts!

View full story dsc92052.jpg

Story: Nov 04, 2014

New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

New Uptown Residence Hall featured in CIA video

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

11/06/13  |  Posted by Vanesa Jeric  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Tips & Tricks

In my sophomore year at The Cleveland Institute of Art, I moved out of the dorms and into my own apartment. I no longer had the luxury of an all-you-can-eat buffet and never before experienced a heating bill during winter. I was always told, "When artists get hungry, they get creative." And that's what I did. I started selling jewelry and wall art that I made for friends and family on Etsy.

What is it?

Etsy is an online marketplace for all kinds of artists to start their own business. Drawings, paintings, glassblowing, sewing, even supplies can bring some extra cashflow. Artwork created by YOU can be seen and purchased by people all over the world. People who appreciate art come to Etsy because it is specifically designed to showcase handmade and vintage items. Reselling mass-produced goods is not allowed.

Connect

I've made many friends, buyers and sellers alike, selling my artwork in such a diverse community. There's a bunch of ways to connect with other people including teams, how-to's, forums, and the Etsy Blog. The blog features a new artist every week and real stories of people quitting their day jobs to sell on Etsy full time.

Sold Yet?

My shop has grown into a part time job and I am incredibly grateful to be able to create art inspired by my friends and family to make other people happy. Etsy is the perfect outlet for me to do that. I've created several custom orders for buyers who tell me about a special person in their life and want me to create something based on what I feel from their story. These are my favorite orders to fulfill, it's like someone saying "I know you'll make it look good so go nuts, be yourself." For a young artist wanting free reign, Etsy is a good starting point. Read more about how to sign up for a shop.

From the Etsy Blog

Upon visiting the Etsy blog, I was inspired by an Etsy artist named Jim Power, also known as "The Mosaic Man." He was homeless, creating mosaics on lampposts in New York City for nearly thirty years to combat the city slums. Take a look at his story above.

0