It's not too late to apply
Get started here.

Blog . Hazen Becker's internship at KaBOOM!

Hazen Becker's internship at KaBOOM!

09/10/13  |  Posted by CIA Student  |  Posted in Career Center

Name: Hazen Becker

Major: Illustration

Internship location: KaBOOM! (Washington, DC)

What you did:

I worked in the Mass Action department, which is in charge of advertising, public awareness, and marketing. At the beginning of my internship, I was given simple work, such as transcribing videos and scanning documents for the database. Every now and then, I would get an assignment to create or put together an image using Photoshop. Every time I was given one of these assignments, they were blown away with the quality of my work and the speed with which I completed it.

What you learned:

My internship at KaBOOM! was more than just a learning experience. I truly loved my time there. I learned what it’s truly like to be in an office setting and help keep the wheels turning. I experienced what it’s like to be a part of something bigger.

But most importantly, KaBOOM! helped me realize the type of work setting and atmosphere that appeals to me. I learned where I want to be for the rest of my life. And that alone was worth every minute of my time there.

What surprised you:

I was exceedingly nervous on my first day. I didn’t know what I would be doing or how I would fit in. But, as soon as I walked through the door, my worries were put to rest. The office building itself was decorated and remodeled to provoke and inspire play. The walls and cubicles were painted purple and orange, and incorporated playground equipment such as tire swings and a giant working garage door.

Right off the bat, I felt very comfortable, and that was before I met the employees. Not only were they some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met, but they were all dedicated and very passionate about what they did.

On the Wednesday of my final week, I took part in a playground build in Baltimore, which turned out to be incredible! I got to experience first-hand what KaBOOM! does, which is to help communities build playgrounds in a matter of hours. The build itself was fun, and the atmosphere was inspiring. If anyone ever has a chance to do this in his or her lifetime, I definitely encourage it.

How CIA prepared you to get the most out of your internship:

The lessons I’ve learned as a Drawing major at CIA have helped me develop my skills in illustration and become better at thinking outside the box. My professors taught me how important it is to make sure my designs not only look good, but also have a little something extra—an intelligence, or a cleverness.

During my time at KaBOOM!, I created three fully illustrated invitation cards, along with spot illustrations for office events. These assignments allowed me to fully utilize my drawing and rendering skills, and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun doing so.

0