View full story crop3ericalevin.jpg

Story: Nov 18, 2014

New film studies prof helps students appreciate film as art ...

View details Fall 2014 Exhibitions

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Fall 2014 Exhibitions

View full story madesurrealvictoriabest4041.jpg

Story: Nov 15, 2014

Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...

View details Student Holiday Craft Sale

Events: Dec 05, 2014

Student Holiday Craft Sale

View Link

Social: 2 days ago via Facebook

Registration opens on Monday, Nov. 25 for the Cleveland Institute of Artís 2D3D national art and design competition for high school students. There are 13 cash ...

View full story dsc92052.jpg

Story: Nov 04, 2014

New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

New Uptown Residence Hall featured in CIA video

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Digital Painting in Adobe Photoshop

Digital Painting in Adobe Photoshop

09/05/13  |  Posted by Vanesa Jeric  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Adobe Photoshop is an important tool for many different kinds of artists. Photoshop is no exception to the saying, "practice makes perfect," playing and experimenting develops techniques that are unique to the artist. The first time I used a Wacom tablet to paint it was like trying to catch with my left hand. The more I used it, the less alien it felt and the better my paintings became. I painted a butterfly to animate for my BFA here at The Cleveland Institute of Art, and I was able to get beautiful variations of lines with a tablet. Some of my favorite techniques to use are:

• Blending Modes- Blending modes in Photoshop can make highlights and light sources look amazing! When painting animals and nature, I like to overlay a texture on my painting layer. I play with all the blending modes when experimenting, but after awhile of getting to know how each one works I can predict which one will look best.
  • Clipping Masks- I will make solid shapes and use them as a clipping mask to paint inside. This way, I don't need to try to create a nice line with the eraser tool. For my butterfly I made solid black wing shapes, set them as a clipping mask for my painting layer, and voila! Painting inside the lines is automatic.
  • Brush Opacity- One of my favorite styles of painting is watercolor. I found that if I use a soft-edged brush and set the opacity to about 60% and set the blending mode of the brush to "multiply" it gives a nice build up and color mixture.

Most importantly, the best thing I ever did for myself was to start keeping a technical journal to document my experiments. If I figured out a way to make hair look just right, I wrote down what brush I was using, the brush size, brush opacity, etc. The next time I needed to paint hair on a polar bear, I had the information stored away. Don't rely on the photoshop file to re-trace steps.

0