Campus Connection information session: Oct. 16
See more event details here.

Blog . ASKetch

09/06/13  |  Posted by Reid Jacobs  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

ASKetch is designed to integrate charcoal as a digital medium with the iPad as a canvas. The setup of the application’s main tool panel is pretty simple! There are a few sticks of charcoal to draw with, a blurring/erasing tool, and a gallery to save finished drawings. Undo mistakes with a history of 20 steps, or trash the entire sketch!

How to

Charcoal is a tool that involves a lot of hands on techniques like rubbing to create a blurred line or smearing to create a gradient. Using charcoal on the iPad is a new perspective on how to use touch and finger gestures to simulate the same effects. Using a pinch gesture changes the charcoal weight from light to dark, and rotating the brush takes the line from thin to thick. I used the pinch function to create a concentrated sphere of charcoal for the pupils in my face sketch. I found that when using the app, rolling my fingertip back and forth created interesting organic lines. Using a stylus gives more control in placement of the charcoal, but I prefer to let the charcoal be it’s own boss.

Find it on iTunes

You can find this app in the iTunes store for $2.99, and it comes with a YouTube demo on how to use it. Check out some of the sketches I did!