Search
View full story brittanylockwood1.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

2014 grad to design whimsical playgrounds for Colorado compa...

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View full story liberal-artscma.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

CIA Exhibition: Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

View Link

Social: about 8 hours ago via Facebook

Mark you calendars now: In a tradition that dates back to 1906, Cleveland Institute of Art will showcase works by its internationally collected faculty members ...

View full story emilyhromi-stillforscreen.jpg

Story: Aug 13, 2014

Biomedical grad wins award for animation on stuttering

View details Mizoguchi's Greatest Decade

Events: Sep 06, 2014

Mizoguchi's Greatest Decade

View full story cnswithlabelsfullscreen.jpg

Story: Aug 11, 2014

Student-designed app teaches embryology, improves scores

View details Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

Events: Sep 27, 2014

Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

View details picresized1406427570dormantbeauty2.jpg

Blog: Aug 19, 2014

8/21-24: Harold Lloyd in The Freshman, Filth, Dormant Beauty & more!

View full story pcroppedbarryunderwoodfnlst211.06.jpg

Story: Jul 23, 2014

Professor's productive year saw exhibitions, acquisitions, r...

View details Fall 2014 Open House

Events: Nov 15, 2014

Fall 2014 Open House

Blog . LetterMPress

LetterMPress

04/17/12  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

When I first came across this app, I thought to myself, "There are a million and five different ways to make a poster in different apps.  Why would I want this one?"  Five minutes with LetterMPress answered that question for me.  LetterMPress allows the user to choose from a variety of virtual printing blocks with the ability to rotate and scale them.  But what makes this app especially unique and a jewel in the sea of applications is its ability to make layers of prints in multiple colors to create a single layout.  This made me giddy.  Finally, an app that puts colors mixing into the artist's hands.  The selection of papers, inks, decorative blocks, and also text blocks makes the experience of creating an old, unique print block poster absolutely fascinating.  I personally fell in love with the twined rope page borders and the 1920's style stock images.  I also appreciate the addition of sound to make my virtual printing experience amazing. Something that I wish was available to the creators was the ability to create new blocks from your photo gallery.  Perhaps as another additional app in the future so that these posters can become even more personal. However, there are many, many problems with this application.  First of all, there's no obvious way to delete a single block once you have it on the gallery tray without using the undo button for an undetermined amount of time or cleaning the entire tray (screen).  If there is a way to delete blocks that have been placed down, I haven't found it yet.  Also, it is impossibly difficult to grab blocks once they are below a certain point on the screen.  What would make this application more efficient would be the ability to delete these objects and also slightly moving the menu bar at the bottom (or at least make the bar moveable).  Also, the ink color sliders don't always work at first (this may be a glitch in the iPad as well), and you have to choose another color in order for the program to recognize that you want another color.  And most importantly, it takes a long time to figure out all of the little nuances of this app in order to make it work. Is this app a great idea?  Yes!  Any time that you give more creative power to the artists allows us to better appreciate the hard work you put into it.  But the app has to be clear and have the options to do what the creator wants, including deleting old blocks so we don't run out of space. Unfortunately, with all of these glitches, I am forced to give this app a pretty low rating of 2 out of 5.  Do I think that this app has potential if they fix the problems?  Most definitely, but until LetterMPress works out the bugs, or lets their users know about deleting objects, I don't recommend that anyone buys this app.  This app is simply too much money for all the problems that are with this application, and I can't justify someone spending six dollars for this application.  Regardless of my opinion, I will still post the link to the application below. LetterMPress in iTunes - $5.99

0