Animation Creator HD
Posted by Keri Svoboda |
Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories
All freshmen this semester felt the burn of animation when they participated in the FlipBoom Draw! competition this Spring of 2012. From the feedback we received from the freshman, we are under the impression that this experience was not as pleasant as the DCI would have hoped. Glitches, inability to add sound, and the poor selection for tools made this competition difficult. Animation Creator HD changes things for the iPad and makes it easier than ever before by allowing the users to add the things that they really need. Tools are available so that the student is no longer inhibited by poor programming. Tools like personal sound, unique brushes (like those found in the Brushes app), and adjusting the speed of your drawings all contribute to efficient animation production.
Animation Creator HD offers users many more options than any other animation app. But let's just start with the tools panel. Here's a rundown of the tools you can use:
- Brush, typical brush tool, but editable in the stroke panel. Look for all of the possibilities with opacity and stroke types like in the Brushes app!
- Pen, the clean line-work tool the best adjuster to speed and ink
- Pencil,typical pencil. Not as much flexibility as the brush, but very clear speed sensitivity
- Eraser, erases stuff, what more do you want?
- Line, Makes straight lines so you don't have to
- Square, Makes rectangular shapes
- Circle, Makes perfect circles, not ellipses...
- Spray paint, grainy filler. Doesn't look too professional, but it's there
- Paint bucket, see a big area you wanna fill? Take the paint bucket and let it spill!
- Eyedropper, take the color that you had somewhere else
- Move Tool, don't redraw something a million times, just move it!
- Crop, a little annoying when you have to go back and click on this tool every time you want to use it, but this tool minimizes "zoom" work in animations
- Camera Roll, Pick a picture from your gallery
- Photo, take a picture to match what you need. You can use this tool to get your proportions more accurate in slow turns (just put it on a lower layer) by using multiple shots
The audio panel allows users to add personalized sound. Sorry folks, audio tracks from your itunes selection aren't included here, but this is not a bad thing! This often takes out the issue of copyright when it comes to animations.
But what's backdrop? What's Layers? Easy! Backdrop is whatever you want to be included in the background, including photos that you could do a little rotoscoping with! You could also achieve this through using the Layers panel by putting colors, lines, and photos all on different layers and animating them separately.
This is a brief example of the kind of animation you can do with Animation Creator HD, made by yours truly.
This is truly the application that should have been used for the competition earlier this year. Again, DCI apologizes for all of the software problems that came with the FlipBoom Draw! application. By creating a full-length animation on this application, I have not experienced any obvious issues. I never had this application crash on me, and I have not had any complaints about the interface. But, I must remind the blog audience to EXPLORE the interface and not just take my word for it. This is the app that should have gotten the 5 of 5 stars and not FlipBoom Draw for all of the options that makes animating something easy. Better than that, it's cheaper than FlipBoom Draw too!
Animation Creator HD in iTunes! - $0.99
Back to blog listing