View full story crop3ericalevin.jpg

Story: Nov 18, 2014

New film studies prof helps students appreciate film as art ...

View details Fall 2014 Exhibitions

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Fall 2014 Exhibitions

View full story madesurrealvictoriabest4041.jpg

Story: Nov 15, 2014

Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...

View details Lunch On Fridays: Michael Polk + Amber Esner

Events: Nov 21, 2014

Lunch On Fridays: Michael Polk + Amber Esner

View Link

Social: about 21 hours ago via Facebook

Join us tomorrow, Nov. 21, 6-9pm, at Art Spot for some great art and a chance to support Cleveland Institute of Art students! Works of art by CIA faculty, stude...

View full story dsc92052.jpg

Story: Nov 04, 2014

New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion

View details 100 Show and Sale 2014

CIA Exhibition: Nov 21, 2014 @ The Wine Spot in Cleveland Heights, OH

100 Show and Sale 2014

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

New Uptown Residence Hall featured in CIA video

View details Student Holiday Craft Sale

Events: Dec 05, 2014

Student Holiday Craft Sale

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Moquu: It sure is... something

Moquu: It sure is... something

03/06/12  |  Posted by Amber Luning  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

Moquu is a scratchable picture maker. What that means is that you can take a sequence of images, and the program will make an animated GIF out of them, which, using the iPad, you can scrub through with a finger swipe, or let the frame by frame play on its own. This is a pretty cool thing, essentially a stop motion program. I was pretty stoked about using it, but in this investigative report, I dive deep into the structure and function of Moquu to see what I can find. It's like diving into the mouth of madness. First off, here is the first thing you see upon opening the program: [caption id="attachment_2893" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="That face I'm making? totally unscripted bafflement."][/caption] I wish I could say there was a walkthrough or maybe a diagram that made some degree of sense, but there wasn't. Not even on their website. Okay, I'm on my own here to figure this out. And eventually I did, although I couldn't get the burst mode to work. Timelapse mode just takes exposures at regular intervals of however many seconds you want, and manual mode is fine, but you have to press the camera button to take the shot, which is a bit irritating if you're using the front camera and are propping your iPad precariously in your coat like I was. Apparently there is an option to import images from your camera into the Moquu timeline, but it did not work for me. Now that I've figured out quite basically how to work the interface, it's time to make a stop motion. This is exciting, because I like stop motion. However, my dreams were dashed when I discovered that Moquu only shoots ten frames. Yes. Ten frames. Not quite enough for a full animation, or really most things at aren't repeatables on the internet like YTMND. So with a heavy heart I resigned myself to doing something goofy. Like drag queen makeup in ten easy steps. Once you've taken all your frames, you are dragged to the frame editor, where you can apply generic stock filters and swap frames around, you know, in case you didn't take them in the order you wanted. Here are some examples of such filters. [caption id="attachment_2896" align="alignnone" width="768" caption="it's getting a little bit fabulous in here."][/caption] That is the pirahna filter. It's my favorite, just a super saturated, super orange one. There are others, naturally, that may be great for other purposes, but I did not choose them for my beautiful project. [caption id="attachment_2897" align="alignnone" width="768" caption="I'm pretty sure I saw a horror film just like this once."][/caption] That is just far too frightening. I went with pirahna, naturally. This is how the finished project turned out. I warn you, it's weird. So now that I have my beautiful art, how can I get it off this iPad? Well, dear readers, the answer is you have to sign up for a Moquu account and host it on their server, at which point you can send it to yourself via email. [caption id="attachment_2898" align="alignnone" width="1024" caption="yep... no saving your project until you pay the piper.. or developer as it may be"][/caption] Also, everything you host on the Moquu server is geotagged and displayed among other submissions from that area. This is respectable in a kind of group art collective kind of way, but a bit weird in the "what if I make something and don't want Moquu to own it before I get a chance to?" kind of way. Or in the "I can't believe I just drag queened myself and now people from all over the world see how sloppy my eyeshadow is!" kind of way. Thankfully I don't have too many issues with the latter, but it is still a point of concern for people who are more conscious about their eyeshadow. So in the end you get a ten frame, animated GIF, to share with family and friends and strangers. You can put hokey filters on it. You can scrub forward and back, but only on your iPad, not on a computer. There are a lot of options that don't seem to do anything and the design is kinda sloppy. So in the end, if you want to play with Moquu to play with it, do it up. The world is your oyster. But if you want to use it for projects, for animating, or even for generating content of your own that you can use (you forfeit all rights to your images the second you host them on Moquu's servers, and you can't get your images off without hosting them). I'd recommend strongly against. That being said, it's a mildly fun free thing to play with. So if you want to do some exercises, or be the next YTMND superstar, this is just fine for you. Moquu is available at the app store - FREE

0