Search
View full story abbeyblake.jpg

story

Apr 15, 2014

Students win $11,000 in Dealer Tire art competition

View details CIA's Traveling Sketchbooks make a last stop at MOCA

events

Mar 15, 2014 @ MOCA Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

CIA's Traveling Sketchbooks make a last stop at MOCA

View full story mihaltianu.jpg

story

Apr 11, 2014

Romanian visiting artist brings new perspective to CIA

View details Dinner by Design – Art of the Table, and a runway show

cia exhibition

Mar 28, 2014

Dinner by Design – Art of the Table, and a runway show

View Link

social

about 2 hours ago via Facebook

Join us for the Biomedical Art Spring Show reception tomorrow, Apr. 17, from 5:30-7pm at the Humphrey Atrium Gallery at University Hospitals. Experience award-winning work centered on current issues in natural and medical science created with leading-edge art techniques in CIA's Biomedical Art program. The show runs April 14-25.

View full story planetarium.jpg

story

Apr 06, 2014

April 16 is encore of 360 Degrees of Sight + Sound: The Planetarium Project

View details The Accident: Recent Work by Nicky Nodjoumi

cia exhibition

Mar 28, 2014

The Accident: Recent Work by Nicky Nodjoumi

View full story autoshow.jpg

story

Mar 18, 2014

Corvette designer returns to teach, show his latest work

View details 2014 Biomedical Art Spring Show

cia exhibition

Apr 14, 2014 @ University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, OH

2014 Biomedical Art Spring Show

View details picresized1396287435rocket2.jpg

blog

Apr 15, 2014

4/17-19: Benicio Del Toro in Jimmy P, Hitchcock's To Catch A Thief & more!

View full story princeton-reviewcopy.jpg

story

Aug 20, 2013

CIA named one of the "Best in the Midwest"

View details 2014 Spring Design Show

cia exhibition

Apr 22, 2014 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

2014 Spring Design Show

Blog . Toddler Tech: iPads turned into Toys

Toddler Tech: iPads turned into Toys

02/07/12  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

The iPad is moving into your children's toy boxes.  From stuffed animals to toy cars, your iPad could become a toy, truly, for the whole family. Let's start at infancy.  Without add on toys, parents (or big brothers and sisters) can read to their babies to stimulate brain activity at a young age.  Children, before they can talk, can learn how to use an iPad to have their favorite bedtime stories read to them from applications like Moglue, The Longest Noodle, Alice in Wonderland, ibooks, Nook, and so much more. Apps like this are: Voice Toddler Cards-the Talking Flashcards, iTot Cards, Baby Sign, and Learn to Talk. A word to the wise when letting your baby getting use to iPad interface: allow your children to also read normal books.  Otherwise, your children might forget how to use their fingers to move objects, like the baby in this next video. A Magazine is a Broken iPad Another Example of Reading Development Aside from reading books and magazines on the iPad, you can also download things like rattles to encourage strong muscle building. Or even encourage your baby to get into the music business. Baby's Magic Hands is an example of this creative play. Crayola Color Studio Better yet, remove the need to buy crayons and markers (and the cleaning supplies that comes with them) and buy an iMarker from Crayola. This package comes with the app (which is free anyways). And supplies kids with coloring books on the iPad that they can color with realistic textures like markers, crayons, and colored pencils.  For the cheap price of $30 online, you can bet that this is the cleaner, more accessible coloring market for kids. Totoya Creatures Moving onto toddler ages, we see something brought to you by Totoya Creatures.  Yes, Totoya Creature (not Toyota) is a company that has transformed the iPad into a toy, but it's not the wonderful reaction toy of the 90's like the furby.  No, the toys of the 90's do not come close to modern technology, obviously.  But that doesn't mean that the iPad sacrificed soft, plushy toys for the sake of interactivity.  In fact, Totoya Creatures has managed to do both. Totoya Creatures from CarnationGroup on Vimeo. I personally like the YetYet, and I almost want to pay the money to turn my iPad into a stuffed animal. However, these are some of the more expensive, glorified, covers that you will buy. But ranged around $80, who can beat the cuteness of a stuffed iPad cover? The application itself is free, so if you don't like the plushy skins that they offer, you could always encourage your favorite seamstress to make you a special skin. What is cute about this is that it's a truly interactive toy. Each toy has a slightly different personality and things you can do with it. Not only that, but Totoya Creatures plans to expand their characters soon, outside of their 2 stuffed models: YetYet and Robotto. Disney's AppMATes But no 4-year old boy wants to be caught with a stuffed animal (or at least my baby brother didn't).  My brother would love the AppMATes by Disney.  Being the biggest Lightning McQueen fan out there, I'm sure my brother would beg me or my mom to get him an iPad with the $20 Disney Cars toy pack for his birthday if he knew. Lucky for me, my little brother has not found the DCI site, so I don't have to be lending out my iPad to him anytime soon. However, using actual toy cars the same way my generation used Hot Wheels is ingenious. Great job Disney! You created yet another product and game that children can enjoy. I played this app without the toy, and found it pretty cool. I quickly found myself (a 3rd year in college) a little distracted by how awesome this little game was (I was supposed to be working a little harder). An especially cool feature was the accuracy of the game to the movie. Often times, in video games created after movies, the video game is sub-standard and poorly put together. But I feel like I'm actually in Radiator Springs with my Disney Cars buddies! Did I mention that there's speed control based on where you are on the screen? Great job iPad!  You are turning the iPad into a family utility instead of just a business tool. And special thanks goes to Totoya Creatures and Disney for developing the toys to match the tool. This is an article that has a great point and covers a lot of what you see here: Why the iPad is the 'Children's Toy of the Year'

1