Apr. 1: Financial Aid Night at CIA
Register here.

Blog . Ukiyoe -Woodcut-

Ukiyoe -Woodcut-

11/08/11  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

Ukiyoe Woodcut is a program that allows users to carve out of a virtual wood surface meant for printing.The problem is that you only start with one tool to do it with.Yes, it's true that Ukiyoe woodcut is a free application.However, the tools to make truly wonderful works of woodcutting art must be bought inside the application itself.While it is to the user's benefit that he or she learns to steady his, or her, hand to create detailed woodcuts, without the necessary tools to create those details, the interface becomes clunky and difficult to use. For example, when I opened a wood panel to cut on for the first time, I was extremely confused that the tool that they advertised, a scalpel, was not included in the original free version.Instead, the user starts with a large rounded chisel, meant for carving out large surfaces.As a woodcarver, I don't recommend this application. I prefer more tactile and tangible methods of artwork and sculptural work. These images show the final work that I did withthe free tool. However, for people who are printers, this is the application for you.Buy the extra features like different colored paints and carving tools to get a good idea of how to lay out woodblock carvings.It's a great way to see the texture that woodblock printing often leaves behind. So for creative play, I give this application a 4 out of 5, but in terms of getting what they advertise, I would give it a 1 out of 5.The app relies on "in-app purchases" to fully use it, so it's a bit misleading to call it free. Ukiyoe-Woodcut- in iTunes - FREE

0