Academics . Curriculum . Professional Experience
A successful creative career requires strong connections to real-world experience. At the Cleveland Institute of Art we’ve developed a rigorous mandatory Business + Professional Practices curriculum that all CIA students complete. In addition to the core course and the small-group seminars, you'll take a professional writing course and travel out into the field to see artists and designers at work.
Emphasis on Success
The Business + Professional Practices curriculum emphasizes three important avenues for students:
- Studio and exhibitions: Learn how to set up a professional studio, write grants, develop exhibitions, communicate through artist talks and statements, and approach dealers, curators, and collectors.
- Entrepreneurship: Learn how to establish your own business by exploring business finance, sales and marketing, taxes, insurance, copyright and contracts, professional writing, and more.
- Industry: Learn how to thrive in a business organization by discussing presentation and interview skills, ethics and conflict resolution, business plans, communication etiquette, professional associations, and more.
CIA’s Career Center and faculty bring in visiting artists and designers who speak to you about establishing successful careers. Recent guest speakers have given presentations on:
- Public speaking
- Personal finance
- Working with ad agencies
- Navigating public funding for the arts
- Small-business start-up
- Health coverage options
- The importance of networking
Alumni who need help in jump-starting their professional career, may also reach out to Career Services, which can provide additional guidance and resources.