Story: Dec 17, 2014
Students animate, illustrate holiday greetings on behalf of ...
CIA Exhibition: Jan 14, 2015
35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition
Story: Nov 15, 2014
Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...
CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015
69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition
Social: a day ago via Facebook
Warm wishes to you this holiday season from the Cleveland Institute of Art! Artwork created by Animation majors Brienne Broyles ’16 and Maria Ursetti ’16. Rea...
Story: Nov 04, 2014
New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion
Every year the Cleveland Institute of Art builds on an internationally recognized heritage of excellence and innovation that dates back to 1882. That year the school was chartered as the Western Reserve School of Design for Women. The school’s first name reflects the forward-thinking views of founder Sarah Kimball, who opened her home for the first class meetings, attended by just one teacher and one student. Open to male and female students alike, the Cleveland School of Art, as the school soon became known, blossomed under the influence of a dedicated and talented faculty, whose prize-winning art and award-winning commercial designs are known collectively, even today, as “the Cleveland School.”
Over time the school’s success prompted changes in facilities—from Mrs. Kimball’s sitting room to the attic of Old Cleveland City Hall, and then to the late Horace Kelley’s mansion on present-day E. 55th. In 1905 CIA built a brick Italianate building in University Circle (razed as part of a 1960s site redevelopment), which boasted a grand exhibition gallery predating the Cleveland Museum of Art by a decade.
In 1949 the school became officially known as the Cleveland Institute of Art, and in 1956, classes moved into their new building at 11141 East Boulevard, named for George Gund, who served as CIA Board President for 24 years.
In 1981 the Institute purchased a former Ford assembly plant, now listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Named the Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts (JMC) after the late artist and CIA alumnus who served as CIA president for 33 years, the building was extensively renovated in 2010 for classroom and studio use. As part of the college’s Campus Unification Project, CIA is in the process of constructing a new academic and administrative building that will be named for George Gund II and adjoined to the JMC. Construction is expected to be complete in late 2015.
To nurture the intellectual, artistic, and professional development of students and community members through rigorous visual arts and design education.
To advance culture, community and global quality of life.
Learn more about CIA's historic alumni and their groundbreaking careers:
On November 13, 2012, the Cleveland Institute of Art celebrated its 130th birthday.
Click here to view the original Articles of Incorporation.